Sunday, June 30, 2013

Cheese Factory!

Have you ever been to the Cheese Factory out between Middlebury and Shipshewana? I haven't always lived in the area (moved away for almost 30 years), but often visited during the summer or for family trips throughout the year. We almost always made it out to what I have always called the Cheese Factory, which is now named Deutsch Kase Haus (German Cheese House--my German classes while living in Germany helped a little!). I remember stopping and trying different cheeses, watching the cheese being made, and picking out a candy or two. In more recent years, I've loved getting a cold birch beer, which is similar to a root beer, but from the birch tree.



Fast forward to today . . . cheese samples are still out, you can watch the cheese being made from 8-noon Monday through Friday, and my kids found plenty of candy to buy. They also had frozen yogurt samples, which I would not have noticed if we weren't offered samples for the kids. I snuck a taste--it was good! 


There are samples of most of the cheeses with toothpicks out to try each one. Etiquette encourages getting a new toothpick with each sample and only trying one of each flavor. We left with a few different candies, chipotle cheddar, horseradish, garlic, and colby jack cheeses! They sell large horns of cheese too, which can be a good option if you have the fridge space or go through a lot. There are discounts on these items. It can also be sliced for a small fee per pound. The prices are very reasonable throughout the store and there is usually something on discount. 


One of my favorite's has always been the cheese curds. They couldn't sell them for a while due to the processing; however, they are back on the shelves. I like how they are squeaky when I eat them! A little pricier than some of the other cheeses, but definitely a treat for me! 

They also had frozen yogurt samples, which I would not have noticed if we weren't offered samples for the kids. I snuck a taste--it was good! Funky looking boys here!

The address is 11275 County Road 250 North, Middlebury, IN. The Deutsch Kase Haus is also near Rise N' Roll Bakery, so we stopped there before we made the trek to the cheese factory. Watch for the Cheese Factory sign on US 20 near Rise N' Roll. Another busy place with yummy samples! The boys love stopping at both places. I check the bargain table at Rise N' Roll for discounted items that are still delicious.