A few things we like doing as fall approaches . . .
1. The Pow Wow up in Dowagiac is super cool! We love the bright colors, ceremonial dances, and fry bread.
2. Heritage Day at Bonneyville Mill is always a tradition for us! See information on the September 12, 2015 celebration here.
5. Holiday at the Mill is a fun time to get ready for the holiday spirit! It's usually early in November.
Halloween Nature Fun is a great way to look at the natural side of the holiday. Hosted at Woodlawn Nature Center in Elkhart. Check for other seasonal activities.
Halloween Hayrides at Oxbow--I don't have a blog post about this, but we've gone several years, even before we lived up here! Be sure to get your tickets early in the day as they will sell out. There are corny jokes on the hay ride, yummy treats, and decorations as you walk through the trails.
Check out natural holiday decorating ideas from Linton's. This was a fun class! Woodlawn Nature Center is hosting a class in early October.
1. Go apple picking at Kercher's or another orchard. See our 10 Reasons to Go Apple Picking.
2. Visit a fall activity area. We have enjoyed Knollbrook Farm and Pumpkin Patch for several years.
3. Go to a nature center! Visit Kalamazoo Nature Center, Fernwood in Niles, or Woodlawn Nature Center in Elkhart. All are great places to see as the seasons change. A "preferred" membership from Woodlawn Nature Center offers reciprocity to these other great places! Pair your visit with a program and a hike.
5. Take a fall hike! We really enjoy Lieber Nature Preserve in Bristol. We also had a great fall walk at Wellfield Botanic Gardens. This is a perfect place to snap a few seasonal pictures, too! We stopped one evening when we had on costumes, making it even more exciting.
Try it at Home:
1. Try using leaves as part of your art or play. See 11 Ways to Play with Leaves.
2. Build fine motor skills with Pumpkin Pounding and other pumping decorating.
3. Go on a fall flower hunt! See our Ideas for Fall Flower Hunts.
4. Fall is a harvest time. Start collecting seeds and pods. See 20 Things to Do with Seeds, Acorns, and Pods.
5. Spend some time with trees! Check out this popular post about the nature preschool program at Woodlawn Nature Center.
By the way, we absolutely LOVED the Maker Faire in Fort Wayne! In 2015, it was in August. Watch for it next year. Regional tinkerers shared their love for creating things. I could see the creativity level of my children soar!