Monday, October 27, 2014

Pumpkin Pounding

Last month we saw golf tees pounded into pumpkins at a fall festival at the Early Learning Center in Granger. Of course, we had to try it. This morning we tried it out at nature preschool at Woodlawn Nature Center; however, my 5-year-old had been itching to try it once he saw the golf tees . After school I let him pound away!

I found a big pack of golf tees online and figured we could find other uses for them as well. Some people may be working on carving pumpkins; we're working on fine motor skills, using tools, and building skills.



It was so popular that the older boys (8 and 10) wanted in on the action. The younger one (2) wanted more turns and has now learned the word goggles. We even had to bring it all down to Grandma and Grandpa's house so the fun could continue through the evening! It was a hit with all the boys from ages 2-10!


My tips:
1. I like the kids using the safety goggles. I'm not sure they are essential with the mallet, but having eye protection is helpful. Plus, it helps it feel more official. We used a real hammer while at preschool today. As I saw the claw heading back toward toddler faces, I was assured that they were wearing goggles.
2. Some of the heads ended up getting damaged. I wonder if we'll be able to use these tees again. Still it's been an interesting challenge for them.  
3. Child sized tools are helpful. We used what we had, but tools their size would have been better.
4. We can't wait to introduce rubber bands to these to make pumpkin geoboard shapes! I wonder how the children will help expand how these may be used or how they might embellish them more. 
5. My 5-year-old wanted to push the tees into the pumpkin enough to get it started. He's still figuring out how to hold the tee while it gets going. I started the tees for the 2-year-old. 
6. It seemed helpful to have a large pumpkin. 
7. For younger children, holding the tool closer to the head gave more control.